Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Must Have Rust

Lately, I've been attracted to rust. Yup...anything rusty seems to be finding a place on my porch or patio this Spring.

Rusty and dented is even better...like this vintage croquet set I dragged home from the town dump.

I wiped the rusty metal down with "Pam" to clean it up a bit...


while DH sat in front of the French Open rubbing the mallets and pegs with furniture oil to protect them and bring out the color. (No, that wasn't his own idea!)

I like how this chipped and faded old croquet set looks on the screened porch...and, who knows...unless I find another use for it first, we may even play a little croquet this summer.

Just a few days after I brought my croquet set home from the dump, Julie posted this vignette on her blog,  Less Than Perfect Life of Bliss. I love how the croquet balls look in the simple wire basket on her shelf.

This sign was on its way to the Lion's auction...the rust was so appealing I couldn't let it go. So it hangs on the patio trellis sending a message to my flowers...

 grow...please!


I can't seem to pass up rusty gardening tools at yard sales...


so they hang on the porch too.

Old Mason jars are even better when they have rusty hinges...

like these in a wire basket on our patio table.

So, tell me, could this just be a passing phase...my summer romance with rust?
Or do you also find yourself  loving things even more when they are a little worse off for wear?

This post is linked to:
Second Time Around Tuesday at A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm
Twice Owned Tuesday Party at The House of Grace
Outdoor Wednesday at A Southern Daydreamer
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
White Wednesdays at Faded Charm

9 comments:

Lori E said...

Oh we are a strange bunch. For years people have tried to spruce up their metal pieces, polishing and oiling them to keep the rust at bay and now we sand them to expose the metal to the elements to rust up. I have several rusty pieces that I love.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Yeah, I love all things rusty especially the cool croquet set metal stand. I've not seen one like that before, most of them have a rack sort of thing on the side to hold the balls. Your's has a better design. Good find!

Kathy said...

Those look great, I bought some of those croquet mallets and now after seeing this I think I must look for a rusty old holder, it's perfect!

Claudia said...

I like some rust myself! Love the croquet set and all your other rusty treasures.

xo
Claudia

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Love your rusty treasures!!! Gardening tools wouldn't look right without a little rust!!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the croquet set! I think rust has a lot of appeal that will never end! I need some rusty gardening tools now!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I so wish I could get my aunt's old croquet set. I just love them. I know whaat you mean about rust. It is just natural!!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Cheryl,
Somehow rusty things in the garden just seem to go well and look great!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love all that rusty goodness especially the croquet set. thanks for joining WUW