Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Vintage Aprons

It's laundry day...sunny and breezy...a perfect time to hang out some of my vintage aprons to dry in the sun.

I can't resist vintage aprons...they are so colorful and bring back memories of days with my mother and grandmothers when I was a girl.


In the 1950's, our mothers assigned different days of the week for different household chores...Monday was washing day, Tuesday was ironing day, and so on. I'm so glad that our roles are not so predetermined anymore and that I can decide when I feel like doing household chores (and when I don't).



This apron looks like a workhorse, doesn't it? My grandmother would have worn one like this. With as much wear as this apron took, it still looks cute with its green rick rack and heart-shaped pockets.


I found this apron for 50 cents at a yard sale recently...love all the layers of fabrics in it.

More rick-rack...the iconoclastic vintage sewing trim.



Here is a vintage "cocktail apron" with pockets for tips (?), complaints, suggestions and compliments.
Note: If one of my guests placed a complaint or suggestion in my apron pocket after I'd cleaned and cooked all day, I'd have a humble suggestion for them:  How about finding someplace else to eat?


Don't the colors in this apron just scream "vintage"? My mother had appliances this color in her kitchen in Connecticut in the early 60's.

I bought this little child's apron on our trip to Pennsylvania...just the right size for my grandaughter to wear when she gets old enough to bake with me.


Beautiful day...aprons drying in the sun...Life is Good!
I hope you'll visit these creative blogs to which this post is linked:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
2nd Time Around Tuesday at A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words
Tuesday's Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Twice Owned Tuesday at House of Grace
Sister Sunday at Sisters of the Wild West

11 comments:

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

You have a wonderful collection of vintage aprons. I'm always on the lookout for them...I sold one recetnly that had a chicken-shaped pocket AND rickrack! Ha!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You brought back baking with Grandma memories with your clothesline of vintage aprons.
- Joy

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Cheryl the aprons are all so wonderful and I love them blowing in the wind on the clothes line! This post made my day! hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

Beautiful aprons! I have some that were my grandmother's and I cherish them.

I would have sewn shut the openings of the complaints and suggestion pockets for sure. :)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

You have a fun collection here. I just love vintage aprons!

Christine said...

Your aprons are so pretty and the photography flatters them nicely. I just found a very 70s-licious apron at the thrift store last week for a dollar. Score!! It would fit right in with your beautiful collection.

outjunking said...

Aprons, always make me think of my great grand mothers. I don't ever remember seeing them without theirs on. You have a beautiful blog. I am your new follower.
Come over for a visit sometime,
Lisa

Twyla and Lindsey said...

We love vintage aprons! My favorite is the 'workhorse' apron. It is wonderful! Thanks for sharing your collection! Twyla

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I saw your blog in Back 2 Vintage blog favs and just had to come and see your aprons! I love vintage aprons, too and you have a beautiful collection! I wear an apron every day so I'm always on the lookout for a comfortable one...from the olden days! Great photos...makes me want to sit outside under a tree! ♥

Betty said...

What a great apron collection. I'm not sure why we don't all wear them today. Many times I've splattered stuff on a perfectly good outfit only to have a terrible time trying to remove the stain. My mother was never without one in the kitchen.

She also did Spring house cleaning and Fall house cleaning. It was almost as if it was marked on the calendar when to begin. Curtains came down, slip covers were washed, Milk Glass soaked and cleaned, windows cleaned and either screens put up or storm widows, etc.

I just clean things when they look dirty and I can't stand looking at it anymore. That's my schedule.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Your aprons looks so cute hanging on the line together!